Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
John tells Peter that it's difficult for him to communicate with people he doesn't know. Peter replies to John that he has the same problem. Then, some time later, John reads a book called XXX, and it helps him overcome his problem. He goes to Peter and says: "Hi, Peter! Here's a book called XXX. I've read it, and it's changed the way I look at my life! Take it. I highly recommend it." The next day, Peter bumps into his friend Bob and says to him:

1. I saw John yesterday. He told me that he'd read a book called XXX, and that it had changed the way he looked at his life. He gave it to me and said that I should also read it.

2. I saw John yesterday. He told me that he'd read a book called XXX, and that it had changed the way he looks at his life. He gave it to me and said that I should also read it.

3. I saw John yesterday. He told me that he's read a book called XXX, and that it's changed the way he looks at his life. He gave it to me and said that I should also read it.

Which of the above versions is acceptable in the context given? If there are more than one, then which are acceptable and which one do you like the best?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You have to think about which is more appropriate. It's not a question of preference. Think about the differences between them.

3. is good if you want to talk about the present result of reading the book. Is that what you want to do?