Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello everyone. I encountered this expression, "Here we are getting down to the basic business of life", and I am wondering what it means in the following sentences:

“What would you have liked to be then?”
“One felt it was—unreal. Not like this. You know, sir! Here in this ship. Here we are getting down to the basic business of life—something worth doing. I wish I’d been a sailor.”

- William Golding, Pincher Martin, Chapter 7

This is a novel published in the United Kingdom in 1956. The novel mainly follows the state of mind of Christopher "Pincher" Martin, a temporary naval lieutenant who was apparently fighting to survive in the Atlantic after his military ship had sunk. Here, he had arrived at an island. He is now ill, and remembering the conversation with his superior about how he was considering to recommend Christopher for commission. He was choosing his words, after learning that his superior knew that he was an actor and an author in civvy street and wanted to test his devotion towards the Navy.

Here, I wonder what the underlined clause would mean.
I guess he means that he, as a member of the Navy, is reaching to the real fundamental living... but I am not sure what he really means. :unsure:

I would very much appreciate your help.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's hard to say. Hopefully, you can understand most of it. When you come across something you don't understand you can either write it down or insert a bookmark at that place (,or both). Then when you finish the book you can look at that and see if you understand it better.

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Tarheel,

Thank you very much for the comment.
My guess is that, here, in the Navy, the sailors are reaching down to the fundamental doings/activity of life (=basic business of life).
Probably, he wanted to say that, unlike professions such as an author or an actor which were unreal, here in the ship, he is doing fundamental activities related to life (=something worth doing).
I truly appreciate your help.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Differences in class were very important then, and still are, so he was trying to appease his superior officer without giving much away. Martin also has plenty of bad stuff in his past to conceal from the office.

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Tdol,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
So he is trying to look good to his superior, while not giving away much information about himself.
I sincerely appreciate your help.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Coffee Break, you might want to find the "Thank" button at some point.

I appreciate your expressions of gratitude, but you will save yourself time by clicking "Thanks".

Status
Not open for further replies.