Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I understand "if something happened to it" as "if something unpleasant happened to it (your career)". Am I on the right track?

The problem is that it seems also possible that "it" refers to "there" (nice career you go there). For example, you get a nice caree when you go to the US. But if something happened to the US - like you criticize the US, you would be in trouble (a real shame?). I am not sure.

---------------------
Steven Pinker
@sapinker
·
3h
Attackers of the free speech letter signed by Rowling, Chomsky et al miss the point: It’s not about us. It’s about the writers, scientists, & artists who are told ”NIce career you go there. Would be a real shame if something happened to it.”

Last edited:
Start at 1:35.

Sorry. The video can't be displayed on my side.

It refers to your career.

There refers to where the people with the various occupations are, not any particular country. Go does not mean to go anywhere. Native speakers like to say "there you go" meaning "this is what you wanted".

One question remained is the logic of "Would be a real shame if something happened to it." Naturally many things would happen to your career. Does "something" here particulary refer to "something bad"?

One question remained is the logic of "Would be a real shame if something happened to it." Naturally many things would happen to your career. Does "something" here particulary refer to "something bad"?

Yes. Pinker is quoting stereotypical threats issued by gangsters running a protection racket. The gangster walks into the victim's office, says "This is a nice shop you've got here. It'd be a shame if something happened to it," and explains how a weekly payment will protect the owner against various hazards like arson or robbery which the gang will perpetrate if the money isn't paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back