If you're at the beach and you have young children, YOU want to/YOU'D want to....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
"If you're at the beach and you have young children, you want to keep an eye on your children to make sure that they don't get into danger or get hurt or get lost."

In the sentence I've provided why does it say 'you want to.' Shouldn't it be 'you'd want?' I'm sure it's not a mistake since it's from a professional English teacher plus I've heard and read this type of sentence several times.
What's the difference between 'you want to' and 'you'd want to' in this type of context?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're at the beach - a definite occurrence. It's happening now.

If you were at the beach you'd want to keep an eye on your kids.

The second sentence posits a hypothetical situation.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
You're at the beach - a definite occurrence. It's happening now.

If you were at the beach you'd want to keep an eye on your kids.

The second sentence posits a hypothetical situation.
But here the writer is talking about a hypothetical situation. Is it possible to talk about a hypothetical situation like this as well?
For example if I'm talking to a first time flyer can I say:
"If you have a flight to catch you want to get to the airport at least three hours in advance."
"If you're flying for the first time you want to watch some videos on how to answer immigration questions."

If they are correct are they used in daily speech or in books/formal situations only?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For example if I'm talking to a first time flyer can I say:
"If you have a flight to catch you want to get to the airport at least three hours in advance."
"If you're flying for the first time you want to watch some videos on how to answer immigration questions."

If they are correct are they used in daily speech or in books/formal situations only?
It's a reasonably common usage in casual American English. It's not suitable for formal contexts.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
It's a reasonably common usage in casual American English. It's not suitable for formal contexts.
I see. But now I have another question. For hypothetical situations how do I decide between:

1) "If you have a flight to catch you want to get to the airport at least three hours in advance." and "If you had a flight to catch you would want to get to the airport................"

2) "If you're flying for the first time you want to watch some videos on how to answer immigration questions." and "If you were flying for the first time you would want to.................."

3)
"If you're at the beach and you have young children, you want to ...." and "If you were at the beach and you had you children, you would want to..."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see. But now I have another question. For hypothetical situations how do I decide between:

1) "If you have a flight to catch you want to get to the airport at least three hours in advance." and "If you had a flight to catch you would want to get to the airport................"
As a learner, you should avoid those constructions and use plain language. Say "If you have a flight to catch, you [STRIKE]want to[/STRIKE] should get to the airport at least three hours [STRIKE]in advance[/STRIKE] early/before your boarding time."

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
As a learner, you should avoid those constructions and use plain language. Say "If you have a flight to catch, you [STRIKE]want to[/STRIKE] should get to the airport at least three hours [STRIKE]in advance[/STRIKE] early/before your boarding time."

Thanks for the tip. I'll take your advice just like an obedient student. :)
I want to ask you about the part you've highlighted. I don't think 'in advance' is incorrect if we were already talking about the boarding time. For example:
A: I have a flight to catch tomorrow at 3 a.m. What time should I leave?
B: Just make sure you get to the airport 3 hours in advance.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think 'in advance' is incorrect if we were already talking about the boarding time. For example:
A: I have a flight to catch tomorrow at 3 a.m. What time should I leave?
B: Just make sure you get to the airport 3 hours in advance.
It's not a synonym for "early", but in advance would be understood. It's not natural to me.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
It's not a synonym for "early", but in advance would be understood. It's not natural to me.
I see. It's just that I saw an actor (native American speaker) saying "sometimes we even get our scripts like three days in advance."

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I see. It's just that I saw an actor (native American speaker) saying "sometimes we even get our scripts like three days in advance."

I am afraid that native speakers cannot always explain why one construct "feels" right while another "feels" wrong. "Three days in advance" sounds fine to me but, like GoesStation I wouldn't use "in advance" when referring to an airport check in time.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It could be that in advance requires more than 24 hours- I can't think, offhand, of a case where a smaller time period works.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
It could be that in advance requires more than 24 hours- I can't think, offhand, of a case where a smaller time period works.
Thant's very interesting. I might open a new thread about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.