Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The ..... between Diver and Calais was realised by a luxury.....

A) voyage-ship. B) trip-yacht c) cruise-liner d) crossing-ferry

THanks guys.

Is this homework?

Even that, you have copied it wrongly.
It is Dover.

Not a teacher

Not, it is not. It was in my English exam at University and I am not sure about the answer.

We like you to have a try first. What answer did you put, and why? Then we'll comment on it. On second thoughts, I think you could make any of those answers work, but I'm not familiar with what's actually available for the Channel crossing.
(I don't like 'realized' in that sentence).

I don't like "realized" either.

What word would you use in place of realized?

IMO, only (d) works but the ferry crossing the English Channel is not exactly luxurious.

Not a teacher

Well, "made" would be one. I am not sure I would that trip a voyage, but it is grammatical. The others work for me.

What about "traversed"?

not a teacher

No. The channel could be traversed, but not a trip, a voyage or a cruise.

Where would you put "crossing"?

The crossing between Dover and Calais was traversed by a luxury ferry.

That would work.

Guys, I know the question might not be well made, but those were the exact words that I had in my exam. I think the answer is cruise - liner but I think it could also be trip-yacth. Would do you guys think? It suppose to be only 1 right answer.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Ms. Verdu Menarguez:

If I had taken the test, I would have gone for D. (crossing - ferry)

My reasoning:

1. I have read that the distance between Dover and Calais is very short.

2. Because of its short distance, I would not feel comfortable using "voyage" or "cruise." (At Dover, do people yell "Bon Voyage"? One can cruise around the world, but surely not between Dover and Calais.)

3. I remember reading that before they built the tunnel under the English Channel, people and cars and trains used a ferry to cross the Channel. (I still have a photograph of the night train from London being shunted onto the ferry. Ah! The old days!)

4. "Trip" is not too bad, but it's matched with "yacht," which I think is out of the question.

5. I had to choose D because I thought that a short hop across the Channel would not involve a "luxury ship" or "a luxury liner."

James

James, Thanks a million. Your answer was more than helpful. :lol:

I have travelled between Dover and Calais on many occasions. The journey is called a "crossing" and it's done by "ferry". Specifically, a cross-Channel ferry, operated by any one of three major ferry companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back