Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Source : self practice

Daun's Mom: How many private academies/academies does Minseo attend these days?
Minseo's Mom : She goes to a private academy for English and take a private lesson/tutoring for math. What about Daun?
Daun's Mom: Oh, yes. She goes to private academies for both subjects. Because private lesson/tutoring is a little bit more expensive than private academies and it's burdensome for us.
Minseo's Mom: Oh, yes. Anyway, kids are having a hard time studying these days. When we were their ages, there were neither private academies nor private lessons.
Daun's Mom: Yeah. Still, it seems that Korea has become such an advanced/developed country because of the highest educational zeal in the world.
Minseo's Mom: Yes, private education has been the driving force behind Korea's development, and private education seems to be a double-edged sword.

==================================================

I'd like to choose the best option in each underlined part. Please help me.

Last edited:
highest education zeal

Self practice

Daun's Mom: Yeah. Still, it seems that Korea has become such an advanced/developed country because of Koreans’ highest education zeal/education zeal unparalleled globally

Can you say "highest" for "education zeal" or "the most educational zeal"?

highest education zeal

Last edited by a moderator:
Daun's Mom: How many private academies [STRIKE]/academies[/STRIKE] does Minseo attend these days?
Minseo's Mom : She goes to a private academy for English and takes a private lesson [STRIKE]/tutoring[/STRIKE] for math. What about Daun?
Daun's Mom: Oh, yes. She goes to private academies for both subjects.

Because private lesson/tutoring is a little bit more expensive than private academies and it's burdensome for us.

That's not a grammatical sentence, and the meaning isn't clear. I suspect it should be attached to the previous sentence. Rewrite it.

Minseo's Mom: Oh, yes. Anyway, kids are having a hard time studying these days. When we were their age, there were neither private academies nor private lessons.
Daun's Mom: Yeah. Still, it seems that Korea has become such an advanced/developed country precisely because of our focus on education.[STRIKE]the highest educational zeal in the world.[/STRIKE]
Minseo's Mom: Yes, private education has been the driving force behind Korea's development, [STRIKE]and private education[/STRIKE] but it seems to be a double-edged sword.
How is it a double-edged sword? That conversation seems unfinished.

Also note:
- AmE uses "math", but it's "maths" in other varieties.
- "Dawn" is the usual spelling for that name.
- Avoid repeating "oh, yes" in a conversation like that.

Re: highest education zeal

Self practice

Daun's Mom: Yeah. Still, it seems that Korea has become such an advanced/developed country because of Koreans’ highest education zeal/education zeal unparalleled globally

Can you say "highest" for "education zeal" or "the most educational zeal"?

highest education zeal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No. Consider something like "zeal for education".
In future, please do not start multiple threads for the same question.

I have merged this with its sister thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No. Consider something like "zeal for education".
In future, please do not start multiple threads for the same question.

I have merged this with its sister thread.

I have to translate to match the original sentence, which has "가장 높은" - the highest or the greatest.
So I changed it to the following per your advice.

우리 한국이 이렇게 선진국이 된 것은 세계에서 가장 높은 교육열 때문이 아닌가 싶네요.

because of Koreans’ highest education zeal/education zeal unparalleled globally
=> because of Koreans' greatest zeal for education in the world.

Perhaps:

because of their zeal for education

I have to make the translation [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] match the original sentence, which has "가장 높은" - the highest or the greatest.
It's often difficult (and sometimes impossible) to make a translation stick so closely to the original. However, try this:
"... because of the Korean people’s unparalleled zeal for education, which is among the greatest in the world."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back