Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Europe
Now that we stand at a parting of ways (the phrase is hackneyed and you would loathe it), you must permit me to tell you what pleasure your regard has given me and how thoroughly I have enjoyed our intercourse, regretting always that inevitable circumstances made it so rare.

From
Mrs. Craddock by W Somerset Maugham (1902)

What does the underlined sentence mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
.. how pleased I am at the respect you have shown me ...

Please note that I've added the date of publication of this book. If you quote from it again, please include 1902 lest other students think it's a modern novel.

Note that 'intercourse' in those days meant 'social intercourse' ('communication/conversation'). These days, most people only take it to mean sexual intercourse.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Now that we stand at a parting of ways (the phrase is hackneyed and you would loathe it), you must permit me to tell you what pleasure your regard has given me and how thoroughly I have enjoyed our intercourse, regretting always that inevitable circumstances made it so rare.

From
Mrs. Craddock by W Somerset Maugham (1902)

What does the underlined phrase mean?
It means: what happiness your high opinion of me has given me. Or: Your high regard has made me happy.

When the speaker says regard, we understand it to mean high regard because of the context, which is warm and friendly.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that 'intercourse' in those days meant 'social intercourse' ('communication/conversation').
It was even acceptable as the name of a town.
Intercourse,_PA_Keystone_Marker_3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.