Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Can 'steam sb' be slang for 'overtake sb'?

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Hi Afit, thanks for replying. Yes, I was familiar with the 'make sb angry' meaning, I was just wondering about the particular usage I asked about in the OP. So I guess that means 'no'?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can 'steam [STRIKE]sb[/STRIKE] somebody' be slang for 'overtake [STRIKE]sb[/STRIKE] somebody'?

I've never heard it used like that. We say "He is steaming ahead" when talking about a race, to show that someone is in first place and is getting further ahead all the time.

Please note that we encourage people not to use "sb", "sth" etc on the forum. We're aware that they're used in dictionary definitions but there are learners on this site who are true beginners so we try to use complete English words at all times.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
I've never heard it used like that. We say "He is steaming ahead" when talking about a race, to show that someone is in first place and is getting further ahead all the time.

Please note that we encourage people not to use "sb", "sth" etc on the forum. We're aware that they're used in dictionary definitions but there are learners on this site who are true beginners so we try to use complete English words at all times.

The power of habit, I'll be more careful. :) However, I think beginners are more familiar with abbreviations such as "sb" or "sth/ smth" precisely because of the fact they're only starting and so, using dictionaries a lot. "OP" on the other hand, which is more commonly used in here and generally accepted I think (?), might not be that clear.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To make sy angry.

:-?:-?:-?

nyota: 'steam past' may be used to mean 'overtake', but only because of the 'past'. 'To steam', in this sense, just means 'to go fast'. (You might just as well think 'whiz' means 'overtake' because 'whiz past' does [=to overtake at speed).

'Steam' can mean several other things, though I've never met it used to mean make someone angry. There is the collocation 'steaming angry' which (not unlike its near-synonym 'hopping mad') doesn't involve actual steam [or, mutatis mutandis, hopping ;-)]

b

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe

Nyota, your avatar, is this child eating something underwater? Is he eating this:

s%C3%BCti+139.jpg

?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The one in the OP's avatar looks like watermelon to me.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Nyota, your avatar, is this child eating something underwater? Is he eating this: [...][/COLOR]
?

The one in the OP's avatar looks like watermelon to me.

It is a watermelon.

I also googled what "langos" was, as I had never heard about it before, and I must say that it probably wouldn't be too convenient to chomp on bread underwater. ;-) On a side note, it's really amazing how many bread-like things you can make just using flour yeast and water or milk.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Afterthought:

There's a criminal meaning of 'steaming' which involves a crowd of young muggers charging through a tube-train, shouting, threatening, and stealing portable valuables from everyone they pass. As with 'steam past', as discussed in my previous post, the 'overtake' meaning comes from the context: they steal from everyone they overtake.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.