Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When talking about your favourite band, are the parts marked by asterisks natural?

I have been listening to this band for years. The full name of the band is White Roses. *The main singer* of the band was Alexander A known by the nickname Star. He died due to health related issues*/problems*. At *first/initially* they were going to name the band *as* Roses. But not everyone liked it. The songs remind you fantastic fairy tales that are a little scary. Each song has a hidden meaning *that/which* you can understand only if you are aware of *its creation story.* They made a movie about the band. After Alexander's death Bob became *the main singer* and *remains to this day*. The movie was released and is available online.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When talking about your my favourite band, are the parts marked by asterisks natural?

I have been listening to this band for years. The full name of the band is White Roses. *The main lead singer* of the band was Alexander A, known by the nickname Star. He died due to health-related issues*/problems*. *At first/Initially* they were going to name the band *as* Roses no full stop here but not everyone liked it. Their songs remind you of fantastic fairy tales that are a little scary. Each song has a hidden meaning *that/which* you can understand only if you are aware of *its creation story.* the story behind it. They made A movie was made about the band. After Alexander's death, Bob became *the main lead singer* and *remains so to this day*. The movie was released and is available online.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When talking about my favourite band, are the parts marked by asterisks natural?

I have been listening to this band for years. The full name of the band is White Roses. *The main singer* of the band was Alexander A, known by the nickname Star. He died due to health related issues*/problems*. At *first/initially* they were going to name the band *as* Roses. But not everyone liked it. The songs remind you of fantastic fairy tales that are a little scary. Each song has a hidden meaning *that/which* you can understand only if you are aware of *its creation story.* They made a movie about the band. After Alexander's death Bob became *the main singer* and *remains so to this day*. The movie was released and is available online.
"The main singer" is okay, but "the lead singer" is, I think, more usual.

I would use (and expect to see) "health-related issues".

"At first" is more natural, I think. However, either is possible.

Do you mean they were going to name the band "Roses" at first?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
"The main singer" is okay, but "the lead singer" is, I think, more usual.

I would use (and expect to see) "health-related issues".

"At first" is more natural, I think. However, either is possible.

Do you mean they were going to name the band "Roses" at first?
Yes, that's what I meant.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Why is "which" wrong in this context? "Each song has a hidden meaning *that/which* ..."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why is "which" wrong in this context? "Each song has a hidden meaning *that/which* ..."
That confused me at first. Why? I didn't know what you were referring to. I reread the OP and that still didn't explain it. But I finally figured it out. You didn't get that idea from me. 😊

Do you know how to tag people?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Take some time to study the difference in use between "that" and "which". Start HERE.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
That confused me at first. Why? I didn't know what you were referring to. I reread the OP and that still didn't explain it. But I finally figured it out. You didn't get that idea from me. 😊

Do you know how to tag people?
Sorry, I don't know how to tag people :(

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
@Rachel Adams

You have now been tagged, You should receive notification of this.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Rachel Adams I might be one of those rule breakers that article refers to. One thing that is certainly true is that the way people use certain words tends to change over time. (One headache for people who study languages is they keep changing.)
🙂

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, I don't know how to tag people. :(
Simple type the @ sign directly before a username and it will result in a tag.

Remember to use a closing punctuation mark at the end of every sentence. An emoji is not a replacement for a punctuation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.