Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello to everyone,

I was wondering if I can use "the German law" and "German law" interchangeably in the examples written below ?

- Under the German law, the parties in a business relationship may agree on extended forms of reservation of title

- However, possibilities to exclude or limit liability in standard business terms- are extremely limited under the German law on standard business terms.

and

- If it is completely impossible for a party to comply with a contractual obligation, under German law such a party is generally released from its obligation to perform the re-spective obligation

- Although companies cannot be criminally prosecuted under German law, a company can be held liable under Germany’s Administrative Offences Act

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, Solutio.:)

Use 'under German law'.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You'd say "under the German law" if you had previously mentioned a specific German law which you were contrasting with a specific law of another jurisdiction.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't quite know how to read the first sentence. I think it's possible that the article is needed there. Are you talking about the specific German law on standard business terms? What is the hyphen in the middle of the sentence doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.