The two maps depict how the town of Langley was in 1910 and 1950.Overall, between those years, Langley was transformed from an industrial town..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
The two maps depict how the town of Langley was in 1910 and 1950.

Overall, between those years, Langley was transformed from an industrial town into a child-friendly one with bigger buildings. It, moreover, lost its railway line and railway workers' cottages (railway transport system).

In 1910, the north of Langley had a factory, to the east of which was a wasteland and to the south of which was a group of houses lined east-west. There were a store and laundry east of these houses. The south of the town, by contrast, had a railway line, cottages for railway workers, houses, a wasteland, and a cafe. It is worth noting that the houses, store, laundry, and cafe were all along Sherman Street, situated at the centre of the town. Additionally, at the far west, two columns of townhouses could be seen along Jordan Street.

However, by 1950, the factory and the houses immediately south of it had been demolished, Sherman Mansions had been erected on the site, and the laundry and cafe had been relocated to the west of these mansions. Although Jordan Street remained, the houses along it were destroyed, and flats were built along its western side. In 1950, moreover, Jordan Street was directly connected to Sherman Street, which also had a direct connection to "New Lane", separating Sherman Park from a column of three stores. In order to construct this park--containing a pond, children's play area, and trees--and these stores, the railway line, railway workers' cottages, and houses were removed, and, as mentioned earlier, the cafe was relocated.

First of all, all my questions are about the sentences in the last paragraph.
1) Is my use of the past perfect tense in the first sentence of the last paragraph correct? Or should I have used the past simple tense and written "... mansions were erected on the..."?

2) "...this park--containing a pond, children's play area, and trees--and..."
Is it okay to reduce a relative clause in this way? Instead of writing "which contained a pond...", I wrote " containing...", and I'm not sure whether that's okay.

3) "'New Lane', separating Sherman Park from a column of three stores."
Once again, did I grammatically reduce the relative clause?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221002-045730_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221002-045730_Chrome.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 3
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
Sorry, I forgot. Just posted it.

Attachments

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The two maps depict how the town of Langley was in 1910 and 1950.

Overall, [1] between those years, Langley was transformed from an industrial town into a child-friendly residential one with bigger buildings. It , moreover, also lost its railway line and associated facilities. railway workers' cottages (railway transport system).

-----------------------------------

[1]: Avoid unnecessary fillers/waffle in task 1.

You wrote 263 words! That’s even more than is expected for task 2! Too many words in task one does not mean you get better marks. On the contrary, it gives the examiner the impression that you cannot summarize, which means you get a low score.

Revise your text and aim for a maximum of 180 words.

Status
Not open for further replies.