The wishing well was filled with fortunes.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Fix the "comma" or rephrase the complex sentence.

Original Thought:
The wishing well was filled with fortunes. The fortunes were sufficient for the seeker. The wishing well was brought close to the seeker.

Complex Sentence 1:
The wishing well that was brought close to the seeker was already filed with fortunes he needed.

Complex Sentence 2:
The wishing well, that was brought to the seeker, was filled with fortunes that he desired for.

Query:
Please help me place the "comma" to interpret the meaning from original thought correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum.

Please tell us where you found this exercise. On this forum, you must provide the source and author of any text you quote.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, this looks like somebody's homework. Two, if you can get people to bring the thing to you you're not much of a seeker.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It looks to me very much like the OP is trying to construct a sentence out of an original thought.

The wishing well, which was brought close to the seeker, was filled with fortunes.

The commas, which represent pauses in speech, enclose a non-defining relative clause. You really should use 'which' instead of 'that' in this kind of clause.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We still need to know the source and author of the original sentence.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Welcome to the forum.

Please tell us where you found this exercise. On this forum, you must provide the source and author of any text you quote.
Source: Self-thought sentence while learning "wren and martin high school grammar" topic: analysis of complex sentence.
PS I am learning English grammar for self-development, hence this is Not a homework. And I do have the answer key myself which contains different sentences.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The commas, which represent pauses in speech, enclose a non-defining relative clause. You really should use 'which' instead of 'that' in this kind of clause.
thanks this helps.

The wishing well, which was brought close to the seeker, was filled with fortunes.

But is it implied from the term "seeker" that anything that is mentioned in the sentence is what is needed/desired by the "seeker". In this example "fortune", henceforth is it not required to mention again the clause "fortunes, which the seeker needed"?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Two things. One, this looks like somebody's homework. Two, if you can get people to bring the thing to you you're not much of a seeker.
Pardon, if my question looks like a structured Bot question because I am aware about the fact that sentence formation can lead to ambiguous meanings therefore I asked if anyone would help with the meaning and placement of comma.

For example in my sentence one, can the paraphrased version be?
The seekers was filled with fortunes he needed and the wishing well was brought close to the seeker.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can say that if you want to, but I don't know what it means.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You can say that if you want to, but I don't know what it means.
Do you think the actual sentence and the paraphrasing are in tandem by rules of sentence formation if not semantically ?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But is it implied from the term "seeker" that anything that is mentioned in the sentence is what is needed/desired by the "seeker". In this example "fortune", henceforth is it not required to mention again the clause "fortunes, which the seeker needed"?

Sorry, I can't quite understand what you're asking. Try again.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To me, this is a wishing well:

images

Is it portable enough to be brought close to somebody who's looking for it (a 'seeker')?

Is it filled with 'fortunes' like you find in fortune cookies?

1690198251630.jpeg

...or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

images

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sorry, I can't quite understand what you're asking. Try again.
Please ignore the logical flaw of the statements which @Rover_KE correctly pointed out.
I intend to learn how to stich together multiple pieces of information.

Your suggestion was:

Question: How do we imply that the fortune (fortune cookies or money) that was in the wishing well is sufficient for the seeker ?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Question: How do we imply that the fortune (fortune cookies or money) that was in the wishing well is sufficient for the seeker ?

Okay, now I understand what you're asking.

Original Thought:

1) The wishing well was brought close to the seeker.
2) The wishing well was filled with fortunes.
3) The fortunes were sufficient for the seeker.

You have three things to stitch together. Grammatically, you can do it with two 'which' clauses, like this:

The wishing well, which was brought close to the seeker, was filled with fortunes, which were sufficient for the seeker.

However, that doesn't sound good, so you should do it in a different way.

Before we make suggestions, please tell us: What do you mean by 'brought close to the seeker', and what do you mean by 'sufficient for the seeker'?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you think the actual sentence and the paraphrasing are in tandem by rules of sentence formation if not semantically ?
It should be "The seeker ...."

With that change it is, I think, grammatical, but what it means is still a mystery to me.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What do you mean by 'brought close to the seeker'...
Ignoring the logical flaw of carrying wishing well, it was carried by someone and given to the Seeker.
.... 'sufficient for the seeker'?
The seeker (here) was in search for fortune, lets take $5, and in the wishing well there were 5$

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ignoring the logical flaw of carrying a wishing well, please just imagine it was carried by someone and given to the seeker.

The seeker (here) was in search for of a fortune no comma here (let's take say $5 five dollars), and in the wishing well there were 5$ was five dollars.
See above.

That seeker has set a really low bar for what constitutes a fortune!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Ignoring the logical flaw of carrying wishing well, it was carried by someone and given to the Seeker.

The seeker (here) was in search for fortune, lets take $5, and in the wishing well there were 5$

Okay. Are you writing a story or something? What exactly do you want us to do? Are you asking us to write the sentence for you? Or do you just want feedback on the two sentences you wrote in post #1?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

The seeker was in search of a fortune. He would be satisfied with $500,000.

I think he should use his remarkable talent of talking people into doing things for him and make his fortune that way.

$$$
$5
$10
$20
$100
$1000