Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
Hello teachers,

I have come across the following expression, "Heck, throw on some music and have a five-minute dance about."
I consulted several dictionaries where I found that "heck" is a synonym for "hell" or can express surprise/dismay. However, here it is obviously a verb. What does it mean?

Thank you for your answer.

Why do you think it's a verb here?

Because it is written as an advice. Do this (heck), do that (throw on some music) and do also something else (dance). Otherwise it would not make sence to me.

I think "heck" is simply an interjection here. It is indeed a mild version of "hell". It expresses emotion.

OK, thank you!

Hello teachers,

I have come across the following expression, "Heck, throw on some music and have a five-minute dance about."
I consulted several dictionaries where I found that "heck" is a synonym for "hell" or can express surprise/dismay. However, here it is obviously a verb. What does it mean?

Thank you for your answer.
It's not a verb. It's just expressing the idea "Hey, let's throw on some music..."

I think "heck" is simply an interjection here. It is indeed a mild version of "hell". It expresses emotion.
Maybe it's interesting that in the Danish language there is the similar word "heks" which means the worst sort of witch always causing bad troubles.
Perhaps the word was brought into the English language by Vikings ( Normans ) after the conquest and became a mild swearing word.

... by Vikings ( Normans ) ...

I was thinking that they were different nations. The Normans came after the Vikings for the invasion. This is what I know but I'm no historian, so someone with the knowledge about this matter is needed on this post.

I was thinking that they were different nations. The Normans came after the Vikings for the invasion. This is what I know but I'm no historian, so someone with the knowledge about this matter is needed on this post.
You are right, the Vikings arrived in Britain long before the Normans. The Normans, though, were descended from Viking settlers in what is now France.

In the OP's example, "heck" is an interjection, not a verb. And while it's true that "heck" is bascially a synonym for "hell," it is not considered a profanity or swear word. Even the most proper blue-haired church-going great-grandmother will utter "heck" every now and then. :)

Maybe it's interesting that in the Danish language there is the similar word "heks" which means the worst sort of witch always causing bad troubles.
Perhaps the word was brought into the English language by Vikings ( Normans ) after the conquest and became a mild swearing word.

The English word "hex" comes from the German for the same thing (witch).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back