Student or Learner
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
Hello teachers,

I have come across a blog post saying "Both types of machines have their pros and cons when it comes to working out." It got me thinking few of the following combinations.

1. type of machine (both noun are singular)
2. types of machine (types is plural but machine is singular)
3. type of machines (type is singular but machines is plural)
4. types of machines (as it says on the blog post)

Are those 4 equivalent? Can someone explain to me the real difference between the 4 combinations, when to use and when to avoid certain combination. As I am writing this post, I further pivoted to the following combinations.

1. machine type (this is to say: one machine type)
2. machines type (this is to say: many machine but same type)
3. machine types (this is to say: one machine of many types)
4. machine's type (this is to say: one type belonging to a particular machine)
5. machine's types (this is to say: some types belonging to a particular machine)

Ok now I am totally confused and lost. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think your question is too complex to answer concisely and clearly. I suggest you give us a complete sentence to consider.

Also, I'd suggest you don't use the OP sentence as an example. In my view, it isn't right. It isn't clear whether the writer is talking about two different types or two different machines.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you give us the preceding sentences for context? Without knowing what the writer is referring to when he/she says "types of machines", it's almost impossible for us to work out if they're right or if we think it could be improved.
Also, please provide the source and author (a link would be good too). Saying that you came across a blog post isn't enough.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please note that I have changed your thread title. I didn't understand what you meant, and 'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'
(Extract from the Posting Guidelines:)

harrylynn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
Can you give us the preceding sentences for context? Without knowing what the writer is referring to when he/she says "types of machines", it's almost impossible for us to work out if they're right or if we think it could be improved.
Also, please provide the source and author (a link would be good too). Saying that you came across a blog post isn't enough.

My sincere apology. I did not know that the preceding sentences would be required. The complete text is:

"Although there are similarities between these machines, there are also some key differences. With regards to which one is better, there really isn’t a simple answer. It depends on your workout goals, physical health, and other factors. Both types of machines have their pros and cons when it comes to working out. Read on to learn which one may be a better fit for you."

The blog post link is https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/elliptical-vs-treadmill#safety

What I am curious about is grammar aspect of using "types of machines", trying out with different combinations, singular and plural.

1. type of machine (both noun are singular)
2. types of machine (types is plural but machine is singular)
3. type of machines (type is singular but machines is plural)
4. types of machines (as it says on the blog post)

1. machine type (this is to say: one machine type)
2. machines type (this is to say: many machine but same type)
3. machine types (this is to say: one machine of many types)
4. machine's type (this is to say: one type belonging to a particular machine)
5. machine's types (this is to say: some types belonging to a particular machine)

I hope someone would be able to help me with my confusion. Thanks to all the teachers.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think the example sentence is wrong and that you should discount it because it will only add to your confusion. It should say Both machines have their pros and cons ...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The webpage deals with elliptical and treadmill machines, which are not the same but work in a broadly similar area of fitness. So, I would say that these are types of machines as there will be different types of each machine. I'd say the text is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.