Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
(1) We are happy to have won.
(2) We are happy to win.

Sentence (1) either means 'we have just won a match and we are now very happy', or 'we won a match a couple of day ago, but we are still happy now'.
Sentence (2) means 'we just win a match', and might imply 'we are still in the field, waiting for the champion celebration'.

Is my analysis right, or are they identical that you can choose whichever one you like?

The speakers are currently happy in sentence one, but the winning that elevated their mood could have occurred at any time in the past.

I can't think of an everyday context where sentence two would be natural.

We are happy to win.

I want to interpret this to mean something like We don't mind winning, which seems quite an unlikely thing to say.

...which seems quite an unlikely thing to say.
The 23-year old was emotional after winning the bronze medal dedicating it to his late father Charles Edmund, who passed away last year.
"Getting a medal means a lot and I dedicate it to my late dad who passed away last year," Seghers said, "I am happy to win a medal for him and for PNG and I want to thank the people for coming out to support us."
link https://www.thenational.com.pg/seghers-dedicates-win-to-dad/

This is similar to my OP.
So that means you should say "I am happy to have won a medal for him" for the bold part, as is known from the context that the speaker has already won the medal.
Am I right?

Given the wider context, the 'happy to win...' is OK because it is being said as the medal is being awarded.

I think I would still have used to have won there, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back