What word/s can be used to fill in the blank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Soccer fans, one by one, have been on a roller coaster of emotions over the years. Up and down from the sweet victories of Malaysia Cup (1984) and Tiger Cup (1988) to the ignominous defeats of the 2002 Tiger Cup and Sea Games in 2001 and 2003.

The Lions (Singapore's Football National Team) fought so hard -- _____ the 3-1 advantage gained from the fiery cauldron at Senayan in Jakarta 8 days ago.

What word can be used to fill in the blank? I think certain words have been left out. I think the words needed are 'to hold on to'. Am I correct?

Thanks.

Soccer fans, one by one, have been on a roller coaster of emotions over the years. Up and down from the sweet victories of Malaysia Cup (1984) and Tiger Cup (1988) to the ignominous defeats of the 2002 Tiger Cup and Sea Games in 2001 and 2003.

The Lions (Singapore's Football National Team) fought so hard -- _____ the 3-1 advantage gained from the fiery cauldron at Senayan in Jakarta 8 days ago.

What word can be used to fill in the blank? I think certain words have been left out. I think the words needed are 'to hold on to'. Am I correct? OK or "to maintain"

Thanks.

b.

I thought of "despite," taking the advantage as a round robin game score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back