[Idiom] Wouldn't that put a twist in your toga?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuriya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello, everyone!

I recently came across an interesting expression: Wouldn't that put a twist in your toga? From the context it was used, I assume it means "wouldn't that get you mad?" I wonder the phrase has anything to with knickers in a twist. Thanks in advance!

TheFuzzyTie

Member Type
English Teacher
Hello, everyone!

I recently came across an interesting expression: Wouldn't that put a twist in your toga? From the context it was used, I assume it means "wouldn't that get you mad?" I wonder the phrase has anything to with knickers in a twist. Thanks in advance!

Heh, never heard that one before, but, having heard tons and tons of phrases like that before, your take on it seems about right.

I would imagine it carries the same meaning as one getting their knickers in a twist--Getting someone mad.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It always used to be "knickers in a knot" where I come from. Apparently the 'kn' alliteration has been sacrificed for consonance of 'knick, twist'.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, everyone!

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Quite a few years ago, some rude American children would say:

Oh, Mother, calm down! Don't get your panties in a bundle. What I did

wasn't THAT bad!!!

yuriya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks guys!

Thanks always for your kind help, guys. I just wonder why English-speaking people started to relate clothing (especially those covering your private parts) to getting angry. However hard I try, I can't find anything even-remotely close to this in my own language. BTW, if you happen to know some common expressions related to this, please be kind to post them. :)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Re: Thanks guys!

Thanks always for your kind help, guys. I just wonder why English-speaking people started to relate clothing (especially those covering your private parts) to getting angry. However hard I try, I can't find anything even-remotely close to this in my own language. BTW, if you happen to know some common expressions related to this, please be kind to post them. :)
"Don't lose your shirt" is an older saying, probably not used much these days.
"Don't have a cow, man", from Bart Simpson.
"Don't chuck a wobbly" (AusE only?) = Don't have a tantrum; don't lose your cool.

yuriya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks again, Raymott. I was left in stitches for a while after reading Bart's trademark expression. Good day to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.