Idioms Beginning With: 'A'
Showing 201 - 207 of 207 results for letter 'A'
- Augean stables
- An Augean stable is a place that is very dirty or corrupt. Cleaning an Augean stable is trying to remove the dirt or corruption.
- Average Joe
- An average Joe is an ordinary person without anything exceptional about them.
- Avowed intent
- If someone makes a solemn or serious promise publicly to attempt to reach a certain goal, this is their avowed intent.
- Away with the fairies
- If someone is away with the fairies, they don't face reality and have unrealistic expectations of life.
- Awe inspiring
- Something or someone that is awe inspiring amazes people in a slightly frightening but positive way.
- AWOL stands for "Absent Without Leave", or "Absent Without Official Leave". Orignially a military term, it is used when someone has gone missing without telling anyone or asking for permission.
- Axe to grind
- If you have an axe to grind with someone or about something, you have a grievance, a resentment and you want to get revenge or sort it out. In American English, it is 'ax'.
Members Get More - Sign up for free and gain access to many more idioms and slang expressions. Register now.