Idioms Beginning With: 'A'
results for letter 'A
- Away with the fairies
- If someone is away with the fairies, they don't face reality and have unrealistic expectations of life.
- Awe inspiring
- Something or someone that is awe inspiring amazes people in a slightly frightening but positive way.
- AWOL stands for "Absent Without Leave", or "Absent Without Official Leave". Orignially a military term, it is used when someone has gone missing without telling anyone or asking for permission.
- Axe to grind
- If you have an axe to grind with someone or about something, you have a grievance, a resentment and you want to get revenge or sort it out.
In American English, it is 'ax'.
have a question about idioms, ask us about it in our Idioms
Discussion Forum. If you know of an idiom that you would like to be listed here, please
use our online form to suggest an idiom.
Members Get More
- Sign up for free and gain access to many more idioms
and slang expressions. Register now