What does 'Bite your tongue' mean?
If you bite your tongue, you refrain from speaking because it is socially or otherwise better not to.
- Category: Body and bodily functions
Idioms similar to 'Bite your tongue'
- On the tip of your tongue
- Tongue in cheek
- Hold your tongue
- Slip of the tongue
- Bite your lip
- Speak with a forked tongue
- A still tongue keeps a wise head
- Bite someone's head off
- Don't bite the hand that feeds
Buy our lists of British English, American English and Animal idioms in PDF format. They're perfect to use offline for reference or for use in class!