What does 'Throw the book at someone' mean?
If you throw the book at someone, you punish them as severely as possible.
- Category: General
Idioms similar to 'Throw the book at someone'
- In my book
- By the book
- Open book
- Every trick in the book
- Take a leaf out of someone's book
- Closed book to me
- Close the book
- Oldest trick in the book
- Don't judge a book by the cover
- Throw someone a line
- Throw someone in at the deep end
- Not trust someone further than you can throw them
- Throw your weight around
- Stone's throw
- Throw a sickie
- Throw a spanner in the works
- Throw your toys out of the pram
Buy our lists of British English, American English and Animal idioms in PDF format. They're perfect to use offline for reference or for use in class!