UK
Current Location
UK
Which is correct?

1. In close co-operation with ...
[STRIKE]or[/STRIKE]
2. In close cooperation with ...

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

In British English, both the hyphenated and non-hyphenated forms are used. The same goes for the verb "cooperate/co-operate".

Please note my changes above. Remember to include an actual question in your post. When you use an ellipsis, remember to put a space before (and after) the three dots. Also, whenever you give us more than one option or sentence to look at, please number them. It can make it easier to refer to the options in our responses.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One fancy variation found in some publications, such as the New Yorker (here, for example), is coöperation, with a diaeresis over the second o.

Interestingly, in the article linked to above, we also find a diaeresis in coördinating.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
When I was a little whippersnapper starting school today was often spelt to-day. I think all such useless hyphens are going the way of the dinosaur.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think words with a prefix started off with a hyphen which is later dropped when the word becomes more common, eg. email, ecosystem, semifinal.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The point of co-operation is to make sure the reader understands the punctuation. Nevertheless, the word is more likely to be used without it (the hyphen).

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
One fancy variation found in some publications, such as the New Yorker (here, for example), is coöperation, with a diaeresis over the second o.

Interestingly, in the article linked to above, we also find a diaeresis in coördinating.

That strikes me as a bit too fancy. Re-entry works less pedantically for me than reëntry, and avoids the weirdness of reentry.

Status
Not open for further replies.