In close co-operation with...
or
In close cooperation with...

Which is correct?

1. In close co-operation with ...
[STRIKE]or[/STRIKE]
2. In close cooperation with ...

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

In British English, both the hyphenated and non-hyphenated forms are used. The same goes for the verb "cooperate/co-operate".

Please note my changes above. Remember to include an actual question in your post. When you use an ellipsis, remember to put a space before (and after) the three dots. Also, whenever you give us more than one option or sentence to look at, please number them. It can make it easier to refer to the options in our responses.

One fancy variation found in some publications, such as the New Yorker (here, for example), is coöperation, with a diaeresis over the second o.

Interestingly, in the article linked to above, we also find a diaeresis in coördinating.

When I was a little whippersnapper starting school today was often spelt to-day. I think all such useless hyphens are going the way of the dinosaur.

I think words with a prefix started off with a hyphen which is later dropped when the word becomes more common, eg. email, ecosystem, semifinal.

The point of co-operation is to make sure the reader understands the punctuation. Nevertheless, the word is more likely to be used without it (the hyphen).

One fancy variation found in some publications, such as the New Yorker (here, for example), is coöperation, with a diaeresis over the second o.

Interestingly, in the article linked to above, we also find a diaeresis in coördinating.

That strikes me as a bit too fancy. Re-entry works less pedantically for me than reëntry, and avoids the weirdness of reentry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back