[Grammar] predicate adjective

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemaliroula

Member Type
Other
I am really confused please help if possible. I have three sentences and I have to say which one has a predicate adjective. I think a predicate adjective exists in the three sentences mentioned below. If I am wrong please correct and explain my misunderstanding of the concept.
1-The scientist is he.
2-The scientist was strong.
3-The scientist was a gerat inventor.
Thank you again for your help.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am really confused please help if possible. I have three sentences and I have to say which one has a predicate adjective. I think a predicate adjective exists in the three sentences mentioned below. If I am wrong please correct and explain my misunderstanding of the concept.
1-The scientist is he.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good afternoon, Chemaliroula.

#2. The scientist was strong. = a so-called predicate adjective

because "strong" is an adjective that describes "the scientist."

The scientist is he. = predicate pronoun (because "he" is a pronoun).
The scientist was a great inventor.= predicate noun (because "inventor" is a noun).

Have a nice day!

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Also, it could be helpful if you wrote what was your understanding of the concept. I believe it would be easier to explain if you did.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And please be patient- there are many posts and it's voluntary, so please just wait for an answer.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
1-The scientist is he.

What are the predicates in the three sentences?

- is he
- was strong
- was a great inventor

Predicate adjective -- What is it? It is a verbal complement that comes after certain verbs (linking verbs). IF you take away a verb and in its vacant slot you insert an equasion mark, and if the equasion is correct, then you have a linking verb. Linking verbs subcategorize an internal complement that traditionalists call a subject complement. A subject complement can be of two types regarding its categorial status: adjective (phrase), noun (phrase)
Let us look at the three complements:

- he
- strong
- a great inventor

he = noun, right?
strong? Adjective!
a great inventor? nominal phrase

In our quest to find a pred. adj., only 'strong' deserves our attention because it is the only adj.
Let us look at the second sentence again:

The scientist was strong.
The scientist = strong

Is 'strong' predicated of 'the scientist'? Yes! --> is = linking verb; strong = adj. --> strong = predicate adjective.
:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.