Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi,

I was reading an article that promotes a company which sells body-care products for men. The following paragraph talks about some of the advantages of its brand.

"From its first launch, the brand promoted its key theme of helping people deal with health/personal care issues that may be embarrassing. The brand manages to meet the constant media messaging to be open about problems, but also does so in a way that allows the user to remain private too."

I don't quite understand the part "manages to meet the constant media messaging'. Could you help paraphrase? Thanks a lot.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand that either. (Don't thank me yet. I haven't been very helpful.)

What products do they sell?

tobebetter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I don't understand that either. (Don't thank me yet. I haven't been very helpful.)

What products do they sell?

Something that treats hairloss and erectile dysfunction etc. The brand would help "open conversation on private problems".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Something that treats hair loss and and also something to treat erectile dysfunction. The brand would help "open conversation on private problems".

Please note that "hair loss" is two words. Also, that's not the way "etc." is used.

People don't sell things to start a conversation.

tobebetter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Please note that "hair loss" is two words. Also, that's not the way "etc." is used.

People don't sell things to start a conversation.

Thank you for your correction. Could you share your thought on the possible meaning of "manages to meet the constant media messaging to be open about problems"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are a lot of messages in the media encouraging people to be open about medical or mental health problems that were (or still are) considered taboo or embarrassing. The company helps people to talk about such things while still protecting their privacy.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
People say lots of things to get people to buy their products. They will do or say whatever works.

I wouldn't think saying something that needs interpretation would be very helpful.

tobebetter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
There are a lot of messages in the media encouraging people to be open about medical or mental health problems that were (or still are) considered taboo or embarrassing. The company helps people to talk about such things while still protecting their privacy.

Thanks a lot, emsr2d2! Problem solved. This is a great place to learn English.

tobebetter

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
People say lots of things to get people to buy their products. They will do or say whatever works.

I wouldn't think saying something that needs interpretation would be very helpful.

I am a freelance translator, and the question stems from my current task. Problem solved now.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I was reading an article that promotes a company which sells body-care products for men. The following paragraph talks about some of the advantages of its brand.

"From its first launch, the brand promoted its key theme of helping people deal with health/personal care issues that may be embarrassing. The brand manages to meet the constant media messaging to be open about problems, but also does so in a way that allows the user to remain private too."

I don't quite understand the part "manages to meet the constant media messaging'. Could you help paraphrase? Thanks a lot.
The media constantly send the message that people should talk freely about personal problems.

The company keeps pace with that (it manages to meet the media's messaging), but it also respects people's privacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.