What does 'Back-handed compliment' mean?
A back-handed compliment is an insult or negative statement disguised as a compliment. For example "This dress doesn't fit me anymore so it would be great on you!"
- Category: Body and bodily functions
- Contributed By: Zoe
Idioms similar to 'Back-handed compliment'
- Left-handed compliment
- Behind someone's back
- Put or get someone's back up
- On my back
- Watch your back
- Like the back of your hand
- Make a rod for your own back
- Back foot
- Fed up to the back teeth
- Talk out of the back of your head
- You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours
Buy our lists of British English, American English and Animal idioms in PDF format. They're perfect to use offline for reference or for use in class!