This article is part of an eight-part series on Conditional Sentences in English:
- Introduction: What are 'conditional sentences'?
- Factual Conditionals
- Predictive Conditionals
- Hypothetical Conditionals
- Counterfactual Conditionals
- Alternatives to IF
- Other expressions with IF
- Non-conditional ‘conditionals’
Certain warnings/threats with and and not ….or convey a message very similar in meaning to conditional utterances, though they are not conditional constructions:
Come home so late again and I’ll ground you for a month.
Don’t come home so late again or I’ll ground you for a month.
The meaning of these is similar to the conditional contruction: If you come home so late again, I’ll ground you for a month.
Enjoyed this article?
Please help us spread the word: