If someone is a dark horse, they are a bit of a mystery and we don't know how they will react or perform.
- Category: Animals
Idioms similar to 'Dark horse'
- Eat like a horse
- Could eat a horse
- Stalking horse
- Charley horse
- Healthy as a horse
- On your high horse
- Horse trading
- Horse of a different color
- From the horse's mouth
- Back the wrong horse
- Don't look a gift horse in the mouth
- Putting the cart before the horse
- Beating a dead horse
- Short horse soon curried
- Flogging a dead horse
- Close the stable door after the horse has bolted
- You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink
- Lock the stable door after the horse has bolted
Buy our lists of British English, American English and Animal idioms in PDF format. They're perfect to use offline for reference or for use in class!
If you have a question about idioms, ask us about it in our Idioms Discussion Forum.
If you know of an idiom that you would like to be listed here, please use our online form to suggest an idiom.