What does 'Lock the stable door after the horse has bolted' mean?
- Close the stable door after the horse has bolted
- Lock horns
- Keep the wolf from the door
- Eat like a horse
- Could eat a horse
- Charley horse
- From the horse's mouth
- On your high horse
- Horse of a different color
- Horse trading
- Healthy as a horse
- Dark horse
- Stalking horse
- Don't look a gift horse in the mouth
- Putting the cart before the horse
- Short horse soon curried
- Back the wrong horse
- Beating a dead horse
- Flogging a dead horse
- You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink
Buy our lists of British English, American English and Animal idioms in PDF format. They're perfect to use offline for reference or for use in class!
If you have a question about idioms, ask us about it in our Idioms Discussion Forum.
If you know of an idiom that you would like to be listed here, please use our online form to suggest an idiom.